Friday, June 8, 2012

Review of "War Stories: Utah Beach to Pleiku" by Robert O. Babcock

I bought this book as soon as Mr. Babcock released it. I'm a life member of the National 4th Infantry Division Association and served with 1/8 Infantry at Fort Carson. As a peacetime/Cold War era veteran, I've always been in awe of the men who lived these stories. This book is very well done. It's a wide variety of true stories ranging through multiple wars and settings. The pages of this book detail the history of my division. I'm proud to be a part of it. They're in the words of the veterans themselves. I found it fascinating, and I will read it again and again.

I especially liked the layout of the book. Each story is self-contained. This is a super book to pick up, read a bit, then lay aside to absorb. Some of the stories are intense. Some are funny. Some portray the tedium of soldiering. It's just a great collection.

Mr. Babcock has done us all a great service in collecting these bits of history for all of us. Thank you, sir. This is history at its very best. Real people doing real things. History isn't just generals, kings, and presidents. It's this. Word has it that another collection will be released in the future. I'm waiting for it.

War Stories: Utah Beach to Pleiku"

No comments:

Post a Comment